Thursday, August 16, 2012

Meanders in Fontainebleau

Yesterday was le 15 août - Assumption Day, and my family's one year, two day anniversary in France. I cannot believe that it has been a year already. Last year I was told, tongue-in-cheek that the day was meant as a rest day, to prepare people for the rentrée after the summer vacances. No, it's a religious holiday.  We decided to honour our anniversary with a trip to Fontainebleau. We had lunch then went to see the legendary château de Fontainebleau. I could not entice my kids to go for a tour of the castle.
"We're castled out!" is how my six year-old put it. I can't blame them though, it was too beautiful a day outside, and as beautiful, well-preserved and steeped in history as the castles of France are - I too have been feeling like I have seen quite enough lately. Castle-viewing fatigue? The gardens were gorgeous and we settled for a meander to walk off lunch. Fontainebleau is a forty-five minute drive from Paris; it is known as a great place for rock-climbing, mountain-biking and hiking, in addition it's famed for its forest and of course, its château.

Lunch was at L'Ovale, where we  tucked into their scrumptious pasta dishes and delightful beef carpaccio.
L'Ovale is at 3 rue de France, Fontainebleau.


 Then the walk around the castle grounds, where a lot of picture were taken. All can be seen here.




2 comments:

  1. Happy anniversary, fellow African!

    PS: Next month will be by 7-year anniversary in Japan. I'm reminded of the famous Virginia Slims advertising slogan: "You've come a long way, baby." ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. You have definitely come a long way Rurousha.

    ReplyDelete