Friday, September 24, 2010

Whipping that body into shape

Getting to the gym is the one thing in my calendar that I have to stay committed to. I make it a point to make it regularly - not just for my weight; which has been tipping the scales on the heav(ier) side since the holidays, but for my sanity.
It is the one place I find some respite from this sometimes crazy world and where for at least one hour I can tune out completely and let the moment be about me completing my virtual 5km race or summiting Kilimajaro. Here are a number of places, that I have tried and some that have been recommended.
Pippa's Health Centre has been my gym  of choice for the past two years. It is the one place where everything consistently works in Accra. Recently upgraded with new exercise machines and a new schedule for exercise classes it is definitely the best-equipped gym in Accra. I tried out their Zumba classes the other week and can definitely recommend them as a fun, full body workout. Every muscle in my body was challenged and I had a great time in the process.
Pippa's has two gyms, one in Ringway Estates and another in East Legon at the A&C Mall. My daughter also takes Taekwondo classes there and there also are ballet classes on offer.
I have also heard good reviews about Patra's Health Centre & Body Perfect Gym in Airport Residential - apparently the best aerobic classes are offered here.
Aviation Social Centre near the Ministry of Defense also has an interesting offering including African Dance classes.
The Air Force Base Officer's Mess on the Burma Camp Road also has small but poorly-equipped gym. they do however offer Tennis and it is attached to the Bok Nam Kim Golf Course; a nine-hole golf course. I am a regular at the golf course and have found it to be a great place for golf lessons for children. Mr Kwashie, the resident golf teacher there holds a children's golf clinic on Sunday afternoons.

Evidently there are many and varied a way one can keep fit in Accra, catering to all tastes and budgets.
I have set myself the challenge of completing my first 10km run and whipping this ol' body into shape to ready myself for the summer holidays, that is, the Southern Hemisphere summer...so here's to me finding my inner gym bunny!

No comments:

Post a Comment