Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Gastronomy in Ghana: Safari French Restaurant

How do you say Safari in French? What I do know is that Safari Restaurant (formerly Safari Livingstone) serves up veritable French cuisine, but the name, or decor is anything but French.
Extensive menu of everything from a tartare of fish and salmon, to foie gras; from beef carpaccio to frog legs in garlic (does not get more French than that) for starters.  Magret de canard, shell fish, fish dishes, a wide and varied meat menu to crème brûlée on their dessert menu. Our waiter brought out some tasty cheese and vegetable tartlets while we went through their menu. We ordered a Brouilly and as partial as I am to South African wines - it was spot on. Light, slightly-chilled - perfect!


Started with crispy seafood rolls - a mélange of seafood and basil in a creamy sauce. Went on to the red snapper in an orange and ginger sauce with vegetables. Yum! My partner ordered the trio of seafood; lobster, prawns and a line fish, with sauteed potatoes. His lobster was seasoned - a first and made for a delightful change, to the usually bland meat. All served up with a creamy, slightly peri sauce on the side.
As if all that was not enough, I rounded off my meal with a crème brûlée (gym here I come) - one of my favourite desserts, that I am always reluctant to order in Accra because I have been disappointed once too often. The sugar topping was more sticky than candy hard - but the custard was good. My partner had an espresso that had the perfect crema - always a good test of good espresso. As  I rolled out of there, satiated, belt loosened, I was thinking of my next gym session - the punishment would be worth it.

Safari French Restaurant
Opposite Kohinoor Indian Restaurant
Osu
Tel: 0246 485 135



Red snapper in an orange and ginger sauce


Perfect crema on the espresso

And the very African themed decor in the very French restaurant...




Note the carvings on top of the bar

Adinkra symbols carved into the bar counter




The 'Safari' garden outside




No comments:

Post a Comment