Thursday, July 14, 2011

Bidding Farewell to Ghana

In the midst of the flurry of activity around packing away our three years here; as well as the farewell teas, lunches and dinners, I almost forgot to write my very last post from Ghana. I am already thinking of how much I will miss the taste of shito with fried yam and kelewele on my tongue. A farewell gift from friends is a recipe book of Ghanaian dishes - which I now have to learn to perfect because according to my kids I can no longer pass off my attempts as Ghanaian with a South African twist, as I have been doing.

Thank you for hosting us. I take with me memories of the sights and sounds: Makola; Agbogboloshie; Cape Coast; Kokrobite; and that Jamestown Castle. I will always remember: crowded La Beach; the Volta River; the castles steeped in history; incessant hooting; aggressive tro-tro drivers; and the fruit - yes definitely the sweet taste of Cape Coast pineapple. Not forgetting: the hawkers selling everything from groundnuts to puppies; the hot sticky weather incredibly I will miss that too; the vibrant colours of kente at a durbar; pride in a culture rich in history; grilled tilapia with banku; the motorcycles of Tamale; and that very Ghanaian greeting Akwaaba.


I bid you adieu ~ Yεbεhyia.

4 comments:

  1. Sad to hear you are leaving Gh enjoyed your various post on cool places to eat and hang out in Accra, found your postings rather late but loved them regardless. Thanks so much and hope you and your family have a great time wherever you find yourself. Cheers Mrs M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nooo! You're leaving! Now how am I supposed which restaurants are worth visiting in Ghana! Well anyway congratulations on a good job, I really enjoyed your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Anonymous - I am glad you enjoyed the posts:) Thanks for the warm wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Tiwaa- Leaving, but hope to visit one day, if for nothing else but to experience what will be a changed Accra dining & entertainment scene. Will keep an eye on The Beautyful Ones.

    ReplyDelete