Monday, November 12, 2012

The circus and an education in animal rights

Cirque d'Hiver was a hit with my children. It is a long show - almost two hours long, with intermission only after the first hour. Despite this, there was no fidgeting in seats as they sat enthralled. The agile trapeze artists, the bumbling clowns, the spooky-looking harlequin, every part of this entertaining act was amazing. My son loved the tiger act - although he had to be assured more than once that the tigers would indeed stay behind the bars.


I have always loved going to the circus and I will gladly return again and again, on the pretext of taking my children, whilst secretly indulging my inner child. But this time around, it raised a different discussion. "The show was cool and all, but I felt really sorry for the tigers, " was the first thing out of my daughter's mouth after the show. Gulp! And here I thought I was the one supposed to provide an  awareness to issues that required some moral gravitas. I have failed! I recovered from my feeling slightly knocked back this, and we went on to discuss the cruelty suffered by circus animals at the expense of human entertainment. "We're really no different from the Romans and their gladiator games - just that there's no blood and gore."

Suffice to say I may have to secretly go on my own the next time the circus is in town - or at best hope I can justify my going by taking along my son, if he has not already been converted by the animal rights activist. If you can look past the reality of circuses, or your pre-teen child's observations, Cirque d'Hiver is a worthwhile event to attend.

I feel like a traitor even as I write this, secretly hoping my activist does not decide to read mommy's blog today. Cirque d'Hiver is all glitz and glamour, and I suppose that's what held our attention. In between shows the troupe of dancers, in their array of never ending costume changes had us wide-eyed and eager for each following entertaining act. Do take the the children, but shhh...don't tell I told.

Cirque d'Hiver
110 rue Amelot
Paris 75011


2 comments:

  1. That's one of the reasons why I like Cirque du Soleil ... no animals. (Well, at least not in their Japan shows.)

    I'm OK with domestic animals in a circus, but I cringe when I see wild ones. I hate zoos, too, although I fully understand their advantages if not necessity. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny you mention the domestic animals...she was quite ok with the antics of the daschunds, it was the caged tigers that really bothered her .

    ReplyDelete