Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Dreaming of Mzansi

Source: www.jhblive.com
The rainy season is upon us and at the moment I am not loving the weather. Normally I am one to relish the overcast, cooler days but I am not feeling it right now. Because of the weather a part of me is wishing I was home...hae...mzansi...down south. SA's weather is at the start of those long winter nights and chilly, crisp days...warm, more-ish soups and slow-cooked stews. (Again, the food theme...eish! Just can't help myself).

All this nostalgia may also have something to do with the flurry of activity in the past week around all things reminiscent of home...SA celebrated Freedom Day on the 27th April - which was eclipsed by the 'Royal do'  and Umoja thrilled Accra with its energetic song and dance. Went to the SA High Commissioner's on Friday night to celebrate with fellow South Africans and what a joy it was to spend an evening speaking in the vernacular. What is it about being away from home that makes one dig deep into the mother tongue vocabulary trove and produce gems that would not be used on a day-to-day basis? Do english speaking people resort to Victorian english when in non-english speaking countries?

Yesterday I touched base with friends from home and this morning Brenda Fassie's Vulindlela was playing in my head and for a moment, Ghana felt foreign to me.
Let me get out and brave the traffic...on my list is mielie-meal, wors and meat from Stella Catering. Stellar catering is a small, and I do mean small shop in Airport Residential that stocks frozen South African meat...lamb, boerewors and filet. Yes, you will pay a premium but it will taste of home.

Stellar Catering
Airport Residential
(Off Patrice Lumumba Rd - follow the signs)
5 Agbaamo Link
Tel: 024 477 3403/ 0302 766 702


No comments:

Post a Comment