Saturday, June 16, 2012

The Japanese revolution in France

Two months ago, Jardin d'Acclimatation had a Japanese exhibit in their gardens, with workshops, shows and presentations of all things Japanese. This following on the last Paris Book Fair in March at which the guest country was Japan. The Musée Guimet is dedicated to Asian arts and culture, and had a long-running exhibition on contemporary calligraphy, which ended on May 14th.
Not forgetting the annual Japan Expo from the 5th to 8th July that is billed as possibly the biggest Japanese expo in Europe, drawing close to two hundred thousand visitors.
Friday nights are sushi and movie nights for my family, and in my neighbourhood alone, I can count within a one kilometre radius more than five sushi restaurants. It is no easy feat getting a table either at these places. Waiting for sushi? Who would've thought? We've clearly joined the revolution.

A visit to FNAC the other day had me elbowing my way past the manga readers during lunch. They literally go in and casually pore through the extensive collection. I have always been fascinated by Japan and its culture. Something about the ancient history and ways, beliefs and quiet strength. I am vicariously getting my daily dose from fellow South African blogger Rurousha.
I have decided that I will take in everything Japanese this next coming week month- I have had to downgrade my ambitious plans somewhat, as promised in my previous blog post- finding out there is plenty to do on a daily weekly basis.

Started off with a Kabuki exhibit a month ago, my how time flies. Let's see what the coming month holds.
Incidentally, Opera Garnier staged a Kabuki Ballet last month which was sold out within a week and for which I would have traded in my first born child for tickets. For future reference, dear readers, please note that I am open to most offers for tickets, within reasonable and morally-acceptable limits,  should I be caught napping -yet again- when this is staged again in Paris.
Enjoy your weekend.

3 comments:

  1. So ... can I bribe you with tickets IN JAPAN? A special performance by the legendary Bandō Tamasaburō in Kyoto? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There does seem to be a mutual fascination between Japan and France. My pet theory? It's because both countries are obsessed with good food, their own culture and the sanctity (or at least special status) of their language. Or maybe because both are so stylish (or at least their women are).

    I'm very happy about your interest in Japan. I may live here, but I still can't get enough of it. Now I can read even more! :D

    ReplyDelete