Friday, January 7, 2011

Gastronomy in SA: So Yum

Yes, So Yum was ever so good. I could not have thought of a more apt name for a place that serves such delicious food. I met a friend for lunch and was delighted by the tasty duck samosas with a hoisin sauce that she had ordered for starters.
Went on further to dig into the crab and cream cheese dumplings, which melted in the mouth and tasted like heaven. Okay, a bit of moderation required perhaps; I was absolutely famished by the time I arrived and by the time we had caught up between bites of food and wanting to tell all that had been going on in the last 18 months since we'd seen each other. I was still very aware through all this that the food at So Yum was extremely well-prepared, the duck samosas has just the right amount of filling and a good balance of spices; had a bit of a bite to them also. The dumplings which can be sticky if not well prepared were piping hot, with a non-gelatinous taste and the mini chicken skewers with the peanut sauce were just the right size. We decided to fore go the main meals and re-ordered a number of dishes from their 'nibbles' menu. All this was downed with some very healthy carrot, ginger and apple juice and pineapple juice - all freshly juiced on the premises. Among the multitude  of great  restaurants on offer at Hyde Park Corner - So Yum is right next to Willoughby & Co which in its own right is a great seafood restaurant that has become something of an institution at Hyde Park-  So Yum was a pleasant surprise; it was my first time there and as I'd said to my friend that with Joburg no longer being my city, and my knowledge of the new and great places to eat limited she should pick a place, so it was her choice entirely and a really fantastic one I might add.

So Yum
Hyde Park Corner
Cnr Jan Smuts & 6th Road






No comments:

Post a Comment