Wednesday, December 26, 2012

CirkAfrica transports us home

So off to the circus we went again. This time around, it was pure acrobat-infused fun, sans les animaux. I didn't realise how obtuse I had been about the use of animals in circuses until my daughter pointed out the cruelty of it all after another circus trip (shame on me!). More recently, when I mentioned to a friend that I was taking my children to the circus the very first thing out of his mouth was: Sans les animaux bien sûr (Without animals of course).  Oui, bien sûr! I think I can safely say the past month has made me a lot more aware of animal cruelty issues.


CirkAfrica is a troupe made up of performers from South Africa (so proud), Ghana (even more so), Tanzania, Congo and Guinea. The continent, and all its corners is well-represented. It's a lively event - accompanied by a band that kept us entertained during and in between the acts with the sounds of Miriam Makeba, Hugh Masekela, Angelique Kidjo, Youssou N'Dour  and a score of other African musicians' songs. It was a great deal of fun, for  a family that was feeling a bit homesick and a little Paris-fatigued (yes it is possible to feel this way), during the festive season. Incredible acrobatics, great music, renditions of songs that spoke of home: Shosholoza, Stimela and Mbube amongst others,  interspersed with gumboot and Zulu dancing. We left laughing and singing Shosholoza much to the amusement of our fellow attendees.
CirkAfrika is currently performing at Cirque Phénix , in the 12th Arrondissement until January 13, 2013. Do not miss it! It is truly one of the best performances I have seen all year - yes, this is probably a very biased write up, but it does not make it any less true. Make sure to book early, it was a full house the day we went and I think will remain so during the rest of the holiday season. More pictures here.








2 comments:

  1. Great photos. I am sure it took you home for a short while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Carol. It sure did. I have been telling anyone who'll listen how great a show it was - granted I may have a VERY biased take on it:)

    ReplyDelete