Monday, July 16, 2012

Road trip to Normandy

Last week Wednesday I packed our bags, charged all phones, made sure the car had a full tank of petrol, and set out on a road trip. It was meant to be a stress-free couple of days to Normandy, starting in Mont Saint-Michel and ending in Deauville. An uneventful trip of four and a half hours, with some rain, beautiful scenery and cutesy villages- which all started to look the same after a while. Note to self: With the company I'm keeping, next time keep it to shorter distances per day.
I did not take the time to really see the villages we drove through along the way for a number of reasons: I felt as if I was coming down with the flu and just wanted to get there; being the driver and the sole parent on the trip meant that I could not indulge in my usual stop-and-photograph activity, so the the scenic beauty of the countryside went unappreciated. I know, driving through Normandy, where it's all about the picturesque scenery, and here I was just rushing to get there.

Day 1: Le Mont looked gloomy and failed to impress
That evening I spotted my first blister, by morning the following day I have a sizeable collection on my face and body. Chickenpox. My daughter had had it three weeks earlier. I spent the rest of the trip ordering room service and trying to come  in as little contact as possible with other people.
The rain, it rains a great deal in Normandy,  foiled our plans to go to the mountain on the first day, but we did make it to Le Mont, and even went further to have lunch at the even more famous La Mère Poulard the next day.

Making the trip to Mont Saint-Michel had already been a hard sell to my children who were more keen on Deauville and the beach - seeing it did nothing to cheer them. On the first day it was rained and the mountain looked downright gloomy. Try as I might to infuse some enthusiasm into them, by telling them about the history, the abbey, and the famous tide did not work. The history of the D-Day beaches perked my daughter up for a moment - for just a moment - but the weather put her off any talk of a visit.

We left for Tourgéville, a small village outside Deauville, the following day. Unfortunately there is not even a single picture of this part of the trip, unless hotel room pictures are your thing. By then, my chickenpox was worse and all I did was sleep while the kids made use of the indoor pool of the hotel. It was raining too much for the beach.
From what I do remember about Mont Saint-Michel is that I did have the best lamb I have had in France so far. The streets are narrow and bustling with tourists, and the next time I go to Normandy, which will be without the kids and definitely without chickenpox, I will make it a point to visit the abbey, have more lamb, sip Calvados, see apple orchards, taste some cider,  sample the cheeses and tour the D-Day beaches.

We came home on Saturday, and caught a bit of the Bastille Day celebrations. I am still recovering, planning the next trip, and willing good weather for the next destination.

Le Mont Saint-Michel pictures here.
This was on the way, we'd passed it earlier - an American diner in the French countryside.
The Market sells Calvados, La Mère PoulardPoulard galettes and other locally-made products.

The narrow streets of Mont Saint-Michel
The souvenir stall, of which there were numerous



No comments:

Post a Comment