Saturday, July 28, 2012

Simple indulgences at the smoking truck


http://student-food.com/wp-content/uploads/camion-qui-fume-4.jpg
Image source: www.student-food.com
After the past week's gastronomic hedonism,  I am running every morning to let my body know that we're home now - holiday's over. Halfway through my run today, my thoughts turned to how great a burger would taste after. Yes, I am a hopeless case - the thought of food always creeps into my thoughts somehow. So I got everyone out of the apartment and we scooted off to the food truck that's been getting rave reviews in Paris - Le Camion Qui Fume.

I'd thought that it would not be such a long wait, what with most people away on their vacances.  There was a queue - a very long queue. We waited for thirty minutes before we placed our order and a further ten minutes for it. Verdict: The best burger I've had in a long time. My son declared his classique burger - plain cheeseburger- the best in his life; he's six so his long-term memory is a bit limited. My daughter thought it was the best she'd had in France. My husband found it very amusing that we'd lined outside a food truck for fourty minutes for a hamburger, but he too was impressed with his campagne; loaded with caramelised onions, wild mushrooms and gruyere cheese. I was licking the  sauce off my lips after my barbecue burger; caramelised onions, cheese and bacon (after my run this morning I thought I'd earned it).

For the venues of the The Camion Qui Fume check their site. The lunch serving is between 11am and 2pm. Go early. At 1:30pm they place no more than 12 orders. People were turned away - from hamburgers. I still can't believe the madness of queuing that long for a burger, but they really are great-tasting burgers - and it was worth doing at least once.
A few web images of people waiting for their burgers here.

Skip the frites de maison and just go for the burger.
My barbeque on crispy soft rolls, freshly made pure beef patties, caramelised onions, cheese, bacon and oozing with sauce.
Very small working space on that truck, but they seemed to manage.



No comments:

Post a Comment