Saturday, July 23, 2011

Snakes and crocodiles!

The Green Mamba at close range, yes with reinforced double glass in between me and the snake but still at close range, is a terrifying creature. Just the knowledge of the slow and painful death its bite can induce is chilling enough on its own. Behind the glass they appeared harmless though.  Croc City in Fourways, a stone's throw away from the Lion Park was all reptiles and birds. I found it very odd that in the middle of this place that is all about reptiles, there are rabbits hopping here and there, and peacocks strutting about.
A very short tour, it literally lasts no more than 15 minutes - covering the snakes, both venomous and non-venomous as well as the crocodiles. Again, all very touch and feel - you can handle the snakes and baby crocodiles if you wish - took my chance with a small grass snake, but passed on the albino python.
There is a restaurant serving everything from salads to crocodile kebabs and filets.
Never one to say no to new experiences, I ordered crocodiles kebabs and dare say they tasted like...
Well it is white meat, but it does not taste like chicken, I thought it had more of a pork taste. A play area for kids (away from the croc of course) and outdoor seating.
There is frozen crocodile meat that you can buy at the gift shop to take home with you as well as crocodile oil lotion. All very interesting.

Croc City
Fourways
Johannesburg
email: info@croccity.co.za

More pictures here.





The other very odd inhabitants of Croc City

My crocodile meat kebabs

1 comment:

  1. I have tried eating croco steak once when I was on my vacation in Asia. I never thought they have this over there and I never really would have thought of crocs are edible. Nice picture.... :)

    ReplyDelete