Saturday, March 5, 2011

Red, Gold, Green and Black

Collage made from fabric pieces
It was 'Ghana Week' at my children's school, and I have learnt more about Ghana in a week than in my almost three years here. It has been a celebration of all things Ghanaian, and my knowledge, or lack of, was definitely tested. No, I did not know that the capital of the Brong Ahafo region is Sunyani but yes, I did know that Ghana is the second largest cocoa producer in the world. No, was not aware that the colour red is worn together with black as a funeral colour, but I did know that there are symbolic meanings in the patterns and colours of Ashanti Kente.

I think it's great that the school has dedicated this week to teaching the students about their home and host country respectively. My son, who I had to cajole, beg and bribe into wearing something African (and by this I mean a batik print shirt from Global Mama's - not particularly African, but suggestive of) to last year's UN Day celebrations was quick to remind me this year to not forget his Kente.
What?! This from the young man who would not wear his  African print shirt last year because 'it didn't look nice?' From the same young man who categorically told me that wearing a Shoeshoe  shirt  (Shoeshoe fabrics are to South Africans what the GTP/Vlisco fabrics are to Ghanaians) was non-negotiable, no matter how many trips to Arlecchino he was offered. This year we're going all the way with Kente?

Because of GIS' Ghana Week I am more aware of the ubiquitous red, gold, green and black of the Ghanaian flag...and it's everywhere! I will be posting more images throughout the week as Ghana celebrates its 54th anniversary. And yes, I did know that it was the first sub-Saharan African country to gain independence.


































No comments:

Post a Comment