Wednesday, November 3, 2010

A ship in harbour...

I was on a warship on Monday night and it was quite an experience. Yes, it was docked and floating at zero knots - but I was on a ship that has been at sea for the past seven months - stopping at various ports around the world...the wanderlust in me was thrilled to no end.
The HMS Portland has been at Ghana's commercial port; Tema for the last three days and has opened up to the public for viewing  and tours. There was a cocktail on board the ship and my partner and I managed to score a tour led by the Executive Officer throughout the bowels of the ship. By the time he was done I had a new found respect for those that make their life in the Navy and a full appreciation for the living space that I have. We also had a lesson from the Chief Engineer regarding the various workings of what makes the frigate what it is. All in all - not just another evening battling traffic to go and make small talk before heading home again. Informative, interesting and certainly worth the 1.5 hours it took us to get there.
Met some members of the Ghana Navy who were equally impressed with the HMS Portland, despite being Navy people and were equally so with South Africa's very own SAS Amatola, also a frigate.
The evening concluded with the 'sunset ceremomy' which is meant to be done at sunset and is about the lowering of the flag. This lasted about ten minutes and I could have sworn I saw a few teary eyes after it was over from the English people gathered...something about servicemen and women in uniform, affirming their allegiance to God and Country over evocative brass music I suppose.
HMS Portland is a Type 23 frigate launched in 1999.








No comments:

Post a Comment