Wednesday, October 29, 2014

On reading everything and not taking myself seriously

I am always scouring websites, blogs and newspaper articles on books - looking for recommendations by readers, writers, bloggers,...Oprah!
My FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out) is not socially-related, it is about the books. As a result I am plugged into everything to do with books. It is not just news about the new that holds my attention, it is also everything about the old. But lately I have grown rather weary of those lengthy lists drawn up by a somebody of the literary world, listing the books that one can read, tick off,  and comfortably declare themselves as well read after.

So in protest to what feels like mandated reading, I have been reading a lot of Young Adult (YA) fiction, and am loving it. It has taken off the pressure of having to read the 'serious' books, and by serious I mean high brow literary fiction that comes with literary awards - as opposed to teenage books about dystopic worlds that come with movie deals.

Admittedly I would never have even looked at this genre were it not for my teenage daughter, but now my reading universe has expanded to include the likes of Stephanie Meyer's Vampire Series (Yes I did!), the surprisingly serious Book Thief by Markus Zusak, and the delightful Divergent trilogy of Veronica Roth. In between there have been graphic novels, books written by expats like myself trying to find meaning in their host countries, and Mary Pope Osborne's Odyssey Books for the under 10s - which I have been introduced to by my son, and which are like delectable appetizers before the main meal.

My reading list is the mongrel of reading lists. There is nothing high brow about it and there probably never will be. I learnt a long time ago that the pleasure of reading is rooted in escapism, and often enough there is no greater joy in losing yourself in a book that makes you forget to take yourself seriously.
So here's to corrupting your minds with everything and anything, to knowing more things, and to going more places (apologies  Dr. Seuss).
Happy reading everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment